Thursday, July 19, 2007

The "suisse way"

Having spent nearly a month here in Lausanne, I figured may be its time to contribute something to the 2.0 world. So here I am with my first post. Initially it seemed quite strange but I guess I am slowly getting used to the "suisse way" of doing things which dents a hole (read crater) in the pocket but is often quite convenient (and sometimes fun too!). Let me not get too long here and quickly recite a couple of events that have happened here with me.


My definition of "countryside" has changed after making a few excursion trips here. Just travel on an inter-city train here and you will know. People in the countryside here have all the modern "city-like" facilities and guess what, some even have swimming pools in their homes. Smaller one for the children and a bigger one for grown ups! Kudos to you if you are still awake and reading. Please go on to the second one.


This one should be a bit more interesting. Last week, none of my flatmates was in town and our apartment door lock being one way, the inevitable happened. I returned from a morning jog (well, ok it was 11am) to find that I have forgotten my keys inside. It is the Murphy which comes into the picture here as well. The conciergerie was on a week long family holiday. My friendly neighbour suggested that I should call up the security of the residences as they also have duplicate keys to the apartments. I call up and amazingly, the guy comes with a key in less than 10 minutes in a traditional suisse way of being on time! And of course, I give him my apologies and many thanks for turning up on a Saturday morning. But the catch comes later on. Two days later, I receive a bill for 161 Francs (which is huge by the way) for this "service". What do I do? Of course, pay the bill and smile at the same time!


Bonjour.

1 comment:

Gabbar said...

Good point my friend, a very good point indeed. Swiss does have much much better services but they also charge a hell lot more.

Anyways welcome to the blogging world. Hope you keep posting more entries.