Sunday, September 9, 2007

some politics at last...

After about 3 months of my stay here, I got my first political news! Well, not exactly something to cheer about but still its a deviation from the usual festive news that you hear all the time. One of the major political parties in Switzerland, UDC, pasted its posters all around showing three white sheep kicking a black one out of the country. The stated reason being the crimes committed by the black one. And they claimed that they have received a huge support from the people for this campaign. On top of this, they want Switzerland to pull out of a UN charter that lays down rules against racial discrimination. All this in a country which holds half the UN conferences! Having spent quite a bit of time here, I can surely say this is not the spirit of fun loving Swiss people and it is definitely not something funny. Obviously, it kicked a huge uproar against the party by the opposition as well as the common people from all backgrounds. Having myself seen the posters, I can say that not all people support this as you can see graffiti on these posters saying shame on UDC. Later, I learnt that the leader of this party is being tried for his racist campaign. Thats the way to go. Thumbs up from me!

No comments: